The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
- The First Review Date for this job is: January 22, 2018
Parking & Transportation (P&T) issues all parking permits, (averaging 30,000 per year), for parking lots controlled by the University of California, Berkeley. The Field Operations Unit is responsible for the enforcement and maintenance of all parking areas. Enforcement of parking rules and regulations is in accordance with the California Vehicle Code (CVC) and the Berkeley campus parking guidelines; on a seven day per week, 24-hour operation basis. P& T is responsible for control of approximately 6000 parking spaces with an annual revenue of $5.0 million from the sale of parking permits and issuance of approximately 45,000 parking citations. In addition, Parking & Transportation provides permits and staffing for campus entry gates and special events.
- Issue parking citations and warning notices to vehicles in violation of the California Vehicle Code and University of California, Berkeley parking/permit rules and regulations.
- Maintain an above average working knowledge of up to 85 various parking permit types for the Berkeley campus and other UC affiliates.
- Interpret policies and procedures that govern citation issuance. Issue parking citations and warnings notices using a computerized hand held ticket writer in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Maintain an above average working knowledge of kiosk permit issuance policies and procedures.
- Maintain an above average working knowledge of campus parking lots, structures and building locations.
- Operate two-way radio using phonetic alphabet and radio codes in accordance with Federal
- Communications Commissions regulatory guidelines.
- Monitor radio calls from the maintenance and transit units, student leaders and UCPD in order to respond to problems and /or questions.
- Inspect and report lot conditions while carrying out daily patrol activities.
- Under the direction of the supervisor, immobilize (boot) or coordinate the towing of illegally
- parked vehicles with UCPD, ensuring every effort has been made to notify the registered owner.
- Provide vehicle jump starts to University employees and visitors
- Provide parking information and/or assistance to campus community and visitors.
- As assigned, perform minor corrective maintenance on parking control equipment that has malfunctioned.
- Prepare daily activity reports such as Beat Activity Report, Boot/Release Checklist, Permit Misuse, and Motorist Assist Forms.
Apply for this job
- Perform (Acting) Supervisor duties as directed or in the absence of the supervisor or lead
- Conduct parking lot surveys for space inventory, occupancy, and other information needed.
- Complete special event assignments in accordance with department policy and procedures; ensuring accurate account of moneys collected.
- As assigned, assists with the hiring and training of new employees.
- Serve on unit or department work committees.
- Responds to campus emer