Nedap offers SENSIT, a network of wireless parking sensors that detect the real time vehicle occupancy of single parking spaces. The system provides real-time parking space information, which can be used to guide traffic to available parking spaces in cities and towns. Motorists therefore experience less parking stress and easily find a parking space. Local councils benefit from a smooth flow of traffic, reduced emissions, improved use of car park facilities and maximum return on car park investments.
Impact on reducing search traffic in cities
The SENSIT parking system is used worldwide in numerous on- and off-street installations. For example in the Dutch city of Winterswijk. The local authorities of Winterswijk recently conducted a research on how the new parking guidance system, introduced earlier this year, impacted the traffic flow. Parking bays in the centre of Winterswijk were fitted with Nedap parking sensors, aiming to alleviate parking pressure at peak times and to improve accessibility of the city. The study concluded that Nedap parking sensors, combined with the new parking guidance system, have a clear beneficial impact on reducing search traffic in Winterswijk.
The searching for parking has reduced significantly since parking spaces are better utilised. In addition motorists find the current parking guidance system extremely useful, as apparent from the analysis carried out by Keypoint Consultancy on request of the Winterswijk town council. Keypoint analysed the car park utilisation rate prior to and after the system became operational. Moreover experiences of motorists were analyzed as part of the research.
Parking Guidance System
Car park utilisation
- The parking system reduces traffic in search for a parking space at peak times. The Peperbus, De Wheme and Blikbak car parks are more easily found and increased occupancy levels are achieved.
- On Saturdays, the average bay occupancy in all car parks has structurally improved; at the location Peperbus it increased by 16%.
- The last remaining parking bay at the De Wheme and Blikbak car parks are also more easily found. Before the parking guidance system was operational, these sites had never been fully occupied. Since the system has been in use, the car parks are regularly fully occupied.
- The car parks fill up earlier during the day.
- Improved utilisation on existing car parks reduces the need for additional parking spaces.
- 89% of motorists experience the guidance system as helpful and user-friendly.
- 23% of respondents who come across the parking guidance system indicate that they chose a car park based on the current information displayed on the signs positioned along the access route. This influence rate is high compared to rates of 10% to 15%, found in studies conducted in other cities in the Netherlands.
- 47% of respondents are aware of the signs. This percentage is lower than previous results from similar studies in the Netherlands. This could be due to the high number of motorists already familiar with the local parking situation.
Signs displaying real-time parking information
Numerous on- and off-street installations worldwide
Nedap installed the SENSIT parking system which is used worldwide in numerous on- and off-street applications for guidance, reporting and enforcement. Nedap had many years of experience with the wireless sensor technology to perform accurately under all weather conditions. Also, Nedap’s SENSIT was award winning at Intertraffic 2006, Gulf Traffic 2011 and nominated for the British Parking Awards 2012 due to its accurate technology and the opportunities it brings to market.
Wireless vehicle detection sensors on parking bays
The wireless parking sensors detect the real time
occupancy of every single parking space
Wireless parking sensors
SENSIT from Nedap is a network of wireless parking sensors that detect the real time occupancy of every single parking space. The system provides real-time parking space information, which can be used to guide traffic to available parking spaces in cities and towns. Motorists therefore experience less parking stress and easily find a parking space. Local councils benefit from a smooth flow of traffic, reduced emissions, improved use of car park facilities and maximum return on car park investments.
The Dutch technology company Nedap AVI is the leading specialist in solutions for long-distance identification and wireless vehicle detection solutions to optimise, monitor and manage the flow of traffic in urban areas. Nedap AVI offers a full range of innovative products that combine leading edge technology with quality resulting from over 30 years of experience in RFID.